
"Some fine carpenters from Norway who arrived and settled in Manti were given the assignment of building the roof for the temple. They had never built a roof structure before, but they had experience as shipbuilders. They didn’t know how they would design a roof. Then the thought came to them: “Why don’t we just build a ship? Then, because a well-built ship is solid and secure, if we turn the plans upside down, we’ll have a secure roof.” They set about to plan to construct a ship, and when it was completed, they turned the plan upside down and it became the plan for the roof of the Manti Temple...
These Norwegian shipbuilders brought with them the fundamental skills of their trade, which could be turned from building ships to building temples. What caused their dramatic shift in priorities? There is only one answer that explains their willingness to sacrifice everything to become builders of the kingdom of God. They had been taught and accepted the eternal principles and truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ. They realized that their mission was not only to help build edifices but also to contribute to the edification of others by sharing their knowledge of the gospel. As we read in section 50 of the Doctrine and Covenants, “He that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together” (verse 22)." L. Tom Perry, "The Past Way of Facing the Future," Ensign, Nov. 2009
I am pretty sure that the process of building the roof of the temple was not easy for these shipbuilders. They did not have any experience in building roofs. I bet this assignment seemed a little bit daunting to them. I’m guessing that they probably stressed and studied and thought and prayed and maybe even hit their head up against a wall or two before the inspired idea of how to complete their assignment came. Then they had to pay the price to put their plan into action. Who knows how many days and hours they spent working to ensure that the roof was built to their exact specifications. Who knows what conditions they were faced with as they tried to complete their work? Was it cold outside? Were they healthy? Were there families healthy? Were there families supportive? What other responsibilities did they have on top of doing their work on the temple? Whatever the case, I’m sure that they were faced with some real opposition and were required to sacrifice much to complete their assignment.
Just as these men had to sacrifice and be stretched in order to complete their assignment, we too are required to sacrifice and are often pushed to our limits as we are serious in our efforts to move the work of God forward. Even if we are very committed and converted to our God, it can and will still be a challenge at times to really magnify our assignments and do our very best to serve Him with a pure heart and dedicated hands.
I used to say that “if the “why” is strong enough, the “how” becomes easy,” meaning that if someone wants something badly enough or if they feel enough purpose in something that it would not be difficult for them to find a way to make it happen. In some instances, this sentiment holds true. However, I believe that in most cases it is more correctly said that “if the “why” is strong enough, the “how” becomes bearable.” So many of the challenges faced by true disciples of Christ are gruelingly difficult, however as they face their storms with a strong “why”—with purpose and faith, they can and do overcome after wading through much difficulty and effort. Elder Perry states that these men were willing to complete their assignment because they were "[willing] to sacrifice everything to become builders of the kingdom of God." Their strong dedication to building the kingdom of God did not make their task less difficult, but gave them the motivation and faith to make it possible.
I guess the main reason why this lil’ tidbit on my blog is because it is my greatest desire to be like these men: to see my assignment through to the end, even if it proves to be extremely taxing and difficult. I want to work hard enough and be obedient enough and have enough self mastery so that I will be able to do anything and everything that the Lord has in store. This, so far has proven to be a rather difficult feat for a whole mess of reasons…hahaha funny story—I am currently trying to become more organized. Organization is definitely not my strong point, but I know that if I get better at it that I will be more effective in just about everything that I do. I have become so good at saying “well, I should plan out my time better. I know that that would help me to accomplish more and I’d feel better about myself, but I’m still doing alright so I guess I’m fine for now.” It has been a real challenge for me to overcome this weakness that I know is holding me back, but I’m working on it as I will continue to probably for a long time. Still, it is worth every effort and failed attempt as I know that it will put me closer to where I need to be.
I guess to make a long story short, what I’m trying to say is that there is a reason why the words “disciple” and “discipline” share a common root.
Wow…well that was kind of a rant. I hope that it makes sense. I could take another minute or five and edit it and make it better, but I’ve been writing for a while and my head is starting to hurt from looking at the computer screen, so I’m not going to (back to my not being organized enough….hahaha I’m such a flawed, work in progress)!
Comments
Post a Comment