
One of my favorite opprotunites that I've had while studying at BYU has been being a part of the BYU Women's Chorus. As part of the class we were asked to complete a series of journaling assignments. Here is one of my entries. :D
It was one of those days. You know, the kind of day where your bright eyes and bushy tail are captive to a tired glaze and a tied back bush of oily, unwashed tresses representative of your lack of sleep and semi-dented looooooong to-do list . You feel moldy, you feel tired, and your feet would rather fall off than have to take another step…but unfortunately, you have to. You have to walk ALL THE WAY from your apartment, up the JSB/duck pond stairs of death, to the JKB for your blasted Women’s Chorus concert warm-up. SIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH of exasperation. On most days, you would gleefully bound up those stairs to get to your concert as Women’s Chorus and performing are two of your very favorite things, but not today. You moan internal, faithless thoughts with each step. “Why am I so tired?” “Why the heck did I take so many classes this semester?—I’m going to die.” “Why am I having such a hard time today? I should be able to handle all of this without any difficulty. I’m usually so much stronger than this. I should be stronger than this. I’m failing.”
For me, these horrid, yet sometimes tempting thoughts continued to distract me through most of our warm-up. As we were running though our version of “All Things Bright and Beautiful” in preparation for the show, an internal shift which was nothing short miraculous occurred—the sung truth of “He made all things well” pierced my doubting, tired soul with great magnitude. In that very moment, I was gently reminded of a truth that I had long known but briefly forgotten. My God created and taught my spirit before I came here. I had been prepared for all of the things that He desires me to do and with Him, I will not fail (at least in anything really important to Him and His plan for me). Sarcasm, pride and discouragement melted as my repentant heart overflowed with rightful conviction and willing faith. My God had made me well—tired feet and all.
I just found your blog today! And I really needed to hear that! Thanks love! :)
ReplyDeleteSo true! It's hard to see things from an eternal perspective sometimes, but when we see that glimpse of eternity, the trying details shrink in comparison and are thus more manageable. Thank goodness for the Gospel!
ReplyDelete